Monday, May 25, 2009

The Time Has Come

So here it is. Time for me to man up and take on the challenges that kids will bring me. Sure, it's going to be rewarding and all but I'm scared. I have 2 major fears. One is that I'm going to sleep in and miss stuff and the other is not giving my all to my future campers and they will come out of the week not having much fun. I know that I have my fun moments but I'm not sure that I can dish out ultimate fun-ness 24-7.

The more and more that I try to do it on my own, I fail. How many times does it take me to realize that I can't do it all on my own, I need to rely on the big man upstairs. At this moment in my life, I feel like I need some sort of goal to reach within the next few years, mainly pertaining to my college career. Honestly, I have no clue what to study for. As a kid I always wanted to be in the military doing special ops stuff or a fighter pilot. Then it moved onto an auto technician, turning wrenches my whole life. And then the idea of Engineering seemed so great, the hands on wrenching turning stuff plus some math. Well, it turned out to be more math than hands on. So thats what I started with and after one semester I felt like I was a fish in the wrong tank. I evaluated my strengths and came out with maybe some sort of teacher or something. Bam, social sciences. And that is where I currently stand, taking all social science courses in the fall. But honestly, I am totally lost. What am I going to do with a Social science degree? Yes, I'm looking at education but I'm still unsure of that. And if social sciences doesn't work, right now, I don't know what I'd do. 

I know you're thinking, Devin, what about youth ministry stuff? I'm thinking the same thing. I don't especially feel called to be a pastor but I do feel like I need to have some anchor in some sort of youth ministry field. Maybe God is just using this to make me more dependent on him, I'm not surprised because I've been praying for him to use me in some way. But, it just sucks right now...

Anywho, this summer is going to be life changing. I'm going to be pushed to so many limits. I would describe it as driving your car fast on a curvy road. So pumped yet, scared out of your mind. 

Thats where I'm at and where I'm going. I may or may not get a chance to update this, facebook or upload some pics, but I will try. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!!! Enjoy the summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hey man,
    I'll definitely be praying for you! Remember the talk that Mike Mesenbring made at TNT that one time. He did a bunch of different things getting a taste of quite varying things that don't really have anything to do with eachother. Yet God used all of those things to bring him to one final thing that utilizes all of them. The things you are learning will help you later, whether it's the content being taught in a class or the experience of dealing with it.

    All things work together for good to them that love the Lord. I know it's a verse that sometimes seems overused, but it usually comes to my mind regarding something like this.

    Regarding being a camp counselor, you don't have to be the one making everything fun. Sometimes things are gonna be serious too and the kids will have a ton of fun with other activities too. You just help out. I'm sure no matter what you do, they're gonna have a great week with you as a counselor, cuz just being yourself, you're a cool kid. Just try to be in the Word daily and be a role model for the kids spiritually. You'll do great and I'm excited to hear how God uses you. Give me a call sometime after 3:30 on any given weekday or anytime during weekends not during church. I wanna sorta keep up with what's new with you.

    Anyways, I'll be praying for you for direction in your life as well as for this counseling you'll be doing whenever I think about ya. Have a great rest of your summer!

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited for you! And guess what? Andy Dickey is working at a Bible camp too - Lake Ann near Traverse City. He just got the job last minute this weekend, and is starting next weekend!

    I'd love to be able to talk before you go, and/or sometime during training before camp starts - give me a call sometime! Hopefully I won't be in a movie theatre or something ;-)

    God's got big plans for your life and your summer - be in the Word, trust in Him, and be a shining light for those kids that so very much need someone to model Christ to them. Working at camp opened my eyes to the crappy homes alot of kids come from - I remember kids that honestly felt like nobody cared about them, especially not their parents. A week isn't much, but pray that God multiplies your time with the kids like He did with the loaves and fishes.

    ReplyDelete